When NC State University was founded in 1887, the school embodied ideals that were rapidly transforming the field of higher education. Chief among them was the belief that colleges should not be reserved for a select few and that the children of farmers, mechanics and other workers should have access to the opportunities and benefits of higher education. A new generation of progressive thinkers founded the college, known then as the 北卡罗莱纳 College of Agriculture and Mechanic Arts.
No organization did more to advance the cause of this new institution than the Watauga俱乐部, a reform-minded group of lawyers, 老师, doctors and businessmen in Raleigh — all of them younger than 30. Watauga俱乐部 member Charles W. Dabney, who wrote the legislation creating the new institution, exemplified the changes sweeping the South in the 1880s. The son of a Calvinist theologian who professed skepticism of modern science, Dabney earned a Ph.D. in chemistry and built a reputation as one of the foremost agricultural scientists in the nation.
Today we honor NC State’s founders — men like Dabney, William J. Peele and Walter Hines Page — not just for their vision, but also because they lived at a time when considerable foresight, skill and courage were required to rally public support for higher education.
NC State was established under the auspices of the federal 1862年的莫里尔法案这使得美国得以在美国建立军事基地.S. government to donate federally owned land to the states for the purpose of establishing colleges that would teach “agriculture and the mechanic arts.” The brand-new school held its first classes in the fall of 1889 with 72 students, six faculty members and one building. In the early 1900s, a new federal program sparked an era of outreach work at the college. The 1914 passage of the Smith-Lever Act created an educational partnership between 赠地 大学和美国.S. 农业部. Under this new cooperative extension program, the colleges would send staff to meet with farmers around the state and provide practical agricultural instruction. This led 北卡罗莱纳 to establish the Cooperative Agricultural Extension Service (now the 北卡罗莱纳 Cooperative Extension Service)在亚美体育app.
到了1920年代, 北卡罗莱纳 州立大学 (as the school was then known) was beginning to grow beyond its original agricultural and mechanical focus, adding schools of engineering, 纺织品, 教育和商业, as well as a graduate school. The Depression posed economic challenges for higher education throughout the nation, and 州立大学 was no exception. As the crisis slowly eased, the college renewed its growth, adding students and developing new programs until the onset of World War II. 州立大学 contributed to the war effort by hosting a number of military detachments and training exercises and by refitting the work of several departments and programs to military and defense purposes.
The campus experienced unparalleled growth during the postwar years as the G.I. Bill brought thousands of former servicemen to campus. 在接下来的几十年里, the college continued to expand its curricula, creating schools of design, 林业, physical and mathematical sciences, and humanities and social sciences. During these years of growth, the 名字又改了, this time to 北卡罗莱纳 State University at Raleigh—the university’s current official name.
The university celebrated its 100th anniversary in 1987, which also saw the creation of 百周年校园, bringing together academic, 企业, government and nonprofit leaders to partner in teaching, research and economic development.
A Leading 研究 Enterprise
NC State has developed into a vital educational and economic resource, 超过34个,000名学生和8名,000名教职员工. A wealth of university outreach and extension programs continue to provide services and education to all sectors of the state’s economy and its citizens. 始终如一地 排名最佳价值 among the nation’s public universities, NC State — the state’s largest university — is an active, vital part of 北卡罗莱纳 life. 今天, 128年以上 成立后, NC State continues to follow its original mission: opening the doors of higher education to the citizens of 北卡罗莱纳 and providing teaching, research and extension that strengthen the state and its economy.